86Box is an LLE PC emulator. It focuses on PC hardware from the 80's and 90's. A variety of operating systems can be installed in the emulator, which can then be used to launch programs. It is a fork of PCem.
To run any program, an operating system needs to be installed in 86Box first. It has a dynamic recompiler that gives accurate Pentium support. It can also emulate numerous 2D and 3D cards, even the S3 ViRGE, which no other emulator supports.
Voodoo support used to be extremely slow, relying on frame skipping to stay full speed. However, in recent builds, this has changed with the introduction of a dynamic recompiler for the Voodoo. It is supposedly at least twice as fast as before, though some apps see up to a 4x increase in speed.
- IMG (Raw floppy images)
- TD0 (Teledisk images)
- IMD (ImageDisk images)
- FDI (Both Japanese and stream)
- 86F (Battler's own format, more accurate than IMG, and handles almost any exotic thing you can throw at it.)
- IMG (Raw hard disk images)
- HDI (Japanese format, often used with PC-98 emulators)
- fixed size VHDs (Unofficially, handled as an IMG. Usually works.)
- Mounting a real or virtual CD-ROM drive (this is the most accurate option.)
An incomplete list of operating systems that can be installed on it:
- Windows 1/2
- Windows 3/3.11
- Windows 95
- Windows 98
- Windows ME
- Select any IA-32 flavor of NT before Vista, it works.
- OS/2 up to 2.1 (Warp has issues on accelerated graphics cards)
- Any flavor of Linux that supports the original Pentium
Any CPU from an 8086/8088 to a Pentium MMX 300 MHz is supported, including IDT/Cyrix/AMD variants. 287/387 FPU emulation is also supported.
- Hercules Plus
- Hercules InColor
- OAK OTI-067
- OAK OTI-077
- A couple of Trident cards
- Cirrus GD5429 (Preliminary)
- Tseng ET4000AX
- Tseng ET4000/W32p
- Various ATI cards before the Mach 64
- ATI Mach 64
- S3 Trio64
- S3 ViRGE
- 3dfx Voodoo (need another card that does VGA for this, just like the real deal)
- nVidia RIVA 128 (Preliminary)
- nVidia RIVA TNT (Preliminary)
- nVidia TNT2 (Vanilla, Pro, and Ultra flavors) (Preliminary)
For nVidia cards and certain machines such as the Award 430VX PCI and the Epox P55-VA, the BIOS will program the wrong palette colors, making Windows somewhat unusable.
- PCjr and Tandy
- Game Blaster or Creative Music System
- Adlib Gold
- Sound Blaster 1.0 through AWE32
- Gravis Ultrasound
- Windows Sound System
- Innovation SSI-2001 (essentially a PC version of the Commodore 64's SID)
The AWE32 has some features missing due to them not being fully understood.
- NE2000 ISA
- Realtek RTL8029AS (basically a PCI version of the NE2000)
Keep in mind that PCAP requires manual configuration, but it supports more than just TCP and UDP traffic, unlike SLIRP.
Misc add-in cards
- Adaptec AHA-154xB SCSI adapter
- Buslogic BT-542B SCSI adapter
- Buslogic BT-958D SCSI adapter
For SCSI, only CD-ROMs are supported.